Blog

Posted on 15 December 2012 at 10:15 pm (CET)
Category: Wiring (12V)
Posted on 15 December 2012 at 10:15 pm (CET)
Category: Wiring (12V)

Today I checked the 12V wiring and tested if all the lights and tachometer works.

E-Streetquad Checking the 12V wiring


First I had to remove all tape so it would be easier to see how the wire harness is connected.

E-Streetquad Checking the 12V wiring


Everything worked well, except 2 wires that were switched in a plug but that was easy to fix.

I'm just not that happy with this wire harness since the color codes don't really match with some of the components. It's also soldered together pretty badly and the plugs aren't even waterproof. I'm thinking of just making a complete new wire harness instead of using this one. It's a bit more work again but it'll be worth it in the end.

Posted on 9 December 2012 at 07:15 pm (CET)
Category: General
Posted on 9 December 2012 at 07:15 pm (CET)
Category: General

I finished making all the paper models for the batteries, charger, controller and motor. Was a lot of work but I really think this is the easiest way to measure if it all fits.

E-Streetquad Measuring with paper models


It all has to somehow fit in this frame.

E-Streetquad Measuring with paper models


This is what I tried first. Since the controller is the biggest part I placed the model for it in the biggest space, where the engine used to be. However I wasn't able to fit quite a few batteries this way and not even the charger. The motor would fit very nicely in the rear swing arm though.

E-Streetquad Measuring with paper models


E-Streetquad Measuring with paper models


On the second try I did find a way to fit everything. Controller hanging on the rear, charger fits perfectly in the middle and all batteries would fit. But I'm still not completely satisfied with this layout since it will be hard to secure the real parts to the frame this way.

E-Streetquad Measuring with paper models


E-Streetquad Measuring with paper models


E-Streetquad Measuring with paper models


But either way I will have to remove some of the mounting points and the battery tray off the frame that are in the way. I won't be needing them anymore anyway. So that's what I'll be doing next.

Posted on 3 December 2012 at 12:00 am (CET)
Category: General
Posted on 3 December 2012 at 12:00 am (CET)
Category: General

Today I've been busy removing the last part from the frame, the engine. Only problem was the carburetor, some hose and the exhaust still being in the way so I had remove these first. I also still removed the radiator.

E-Streetquad Removing the engine


E-Streetquad Removing the engine


E-Streetquad Removing the engine


E-Streetquad Removing the engine


Now it was finally time to remove the engine. While it went easier than I thought since the engine is pretty lightweight I was still happy to have this cart on wheels here so I could easily roll it out of the way.

E-Streetquad Removing the engine


E-Streetquad Removing the engine


The frame is all empty now. For the rest I don't think I'll have to remove anything else for now.

E-Streetquad Removing the engine

Posted on 2 December 2012 at 01:00 am (CET)
Category: General
Posted on 2 December 2012 at 01:00 am (CET)
Category: General

Continued disassembling again. I was able to remove the whole wire harness now and the rest of the electronics. I also removed the nerfbar and hielguards so I'll have some more space to remove the engine. Ofcourse I also had to remove the chain for this.

E-Streetquad Disassembling some more


Frame is almost empty now. Only the radiator and engine left. But I'm stuck with lots of spare parts now. For now I just put them in boxes and hung up some of the bigger parts. I'll have to go and make something soon so I can store everything properly.

E-Streetquad Disassembling some more


E-Streetquad Disassembling some more


Meanwhile I also returned the white fenders and received the red side ones.

E-Streetquad Disassembling some more


Seeing as I also have an idea already which batteries I will be using (CALB SE 70 Ah) I started making some paper models. This way I can easily see if and how they will fit in the frame as soon as the engine is out. Quite some work to fold and glue them all, pretty much like in kindergarten. But it'll be all worth it.

E-Streetquad Disassembling some more


E-Streetquad Disassembling some more

Posted on 30 November 2012 at 12:08 am (CET)
Category: General
Posted on 30 November 2012 at 12:08 am (CET)
Category: General

First thing I did today was remove the headlights and part of the wiring on the front. Just to be sure I labeled everything so I can easily see what everything's for later on.

E-Streetquad Removing the silencers, tank and part of electronics


I also removed the gas tank, silencers and part of the exhaust. This quad bike won't be needing these anymore.

E-Streetquad Removing the silencers, tank and part of electronics


And this is what it looks like right now.

E-Streetquad Removing the silencers, tank and part of electronics