Blog / November 2014
Posted on 17 November 2014 at 12:07 am (CET)
Finally an update again. These past 2 weeks I've definately not just been sitting on my hands. Lets start with the small things.
I've placed the wires for the sensor to the batteries. These are very important wires, because of them I can always see the voltage of the whole battery pack and the capacity is also calculated like this. So that's definately nice to know while driving.
For the looks I bought some new mirrors, these match very well with the carbon mudguards. Looks much better than the standard chrome mirrors. Just have to wait and see how the view is. The only problem is that these don't have an E-marking, so I'll still have to use the chrome mirrors for the road approval test at the RDW.
But the most important is that the top case is pretty much done now. I've made a protective cover out of plastic that fits over the contactors and is closed off all around it. This way it's impossible to still touch anything with live voltage. Mounting points for this are glued in again. The DC-DC converter to convert 72V to 12V still fits very nicely on top of this as well.
But since this is open on the top and has live voltage on certain parts I also had to make a seperate protective cover for this. On the rear I drilled quite some holes so the heat can go out.
Then I was still left with the 12V battery. The plan was to place this as a square block as far as possible to the right but because of all the round shapes in the top case this was just too difficult. So I ended up placing it as an oblong shape in the middle. The sides are covered up again. I left the rest open, I think it looks pretty nice.
This will all still be sprayed black and then I can continue with the wiring again.
Posted on 2 November 2014 at 01:00 am (CET)
The past week I've done a lot of work again. First thing I wanted attached in the top case are the contactors for being able to drive in reverse. This all went well, I just hope that it's strong enough.
I made a whole construction out of plastic where the contactors fit in nicely.
Also made mounting points that I glued into the top case with special glue. With this I have to wait and see if it's strong enough.
The contactors I can easily attach or remove this way. Meanwhile I've also connected the last few wires for the propulsion. The smaller black wires are just for earthing of the shielding in the orange wires, just still have to isolate these so they can't come in touch with the contactors.
I was worried that it wouldn't look so good on the outside of the top case but it doesn't look too bad. As you can see I ended up using cable glands again instead of those rubbers. The wires stay in place much better like this and the top case is still waterproof.
I've also tried with the rear fender on it already and you don't notice the wires as much then. I just forgot to take a picture of this and the fender is also off again. So I'll show that later.
The plan now is to make some shielding in the top case so the contactors won't be visible anymore and untouchable. But that will take a while again to finish.