Blog / Drawings
Today I contacted the metalworking company, the parts are almost done. They just had to order some things to be able to broach the keyway in the adaptor, guess they didn't have the right size. And the key itself had to be ordered as well. It might still arrive there this week and then everything would be done. Really looking forward to see what they made of it all.
Then on to the controller mounts again. I'm going to do this differently now. The rack with those 4 points of the exhaust silencers will be removed. It just wouldn't have enough clearance with the chain if I'd hang the controller from there and it didn't help that those points were out of alignment either.
So now I'll be using the 4 points on the frame itself (where the rack was actually attached to), these are pretty much straight and it'll be a lot easier to make mounts for this. I tried to measure and draw these points again.
And this is what I have in mind. Looks good and strong enough.
But then I do still have to make something to attach the rear lights to. But I can figure that out later, will probably be seperate mounts on the inside of those same 4 points.
Meanwhile I also made some paper models to see how they fit on the frame. They'll fit pretty good and will never have any problems with the chain. Just still have to wait untill I have the other parts back so I can see how low I can make the mounts.
I finished the drawing of the controller mounts, think they'll actually be made like this. In the drawing everything fits well at least.
Just still have to think about it some more before actually having them made since there are still some small little problems with it. Will have to see if I can fix them.
Yesterday I evened out all the welds on the battery boxes. So I can continue with those again. But first something more important, the controller mounts. I'm drawing again to see how I want them but it seems to be a bit harder than I thought it would.
The idea is that the controller will hang from these 4 points where the exhaust silencers used to hang from.
Problem is just that a Chinese probably welded this together on a monday morning. There are a lot of inaccuracies in it. I tried to measure and draw this as accurate as possible.
There will have to be 4 mounts that go all the way down, there are 4 points where I can attach the controller.
But as I said it's all very badly welded. Here you see really well that the upper left part points a little to the right. And the left bottom part points some more to the left. The inaccuracy between the middle of both sides is 4 mm. That's quite a lot to me but it'll have to do.
Then we have the 2 rear parts, while these are actually straight looking from above, there are sadly more inaccuracies when looking from the rear. Left part points down 3 mm and the right one 1,5 mm.
But that's not all, some points are also welded a bit more to the left or right again. So it'll be very hard to make mounts for this that'll fit well. Only way to do this is by making adjustable mounts since I want to have 4 mounts that are exactly the same. More or less like this.
With slotted holes the inaccuracies shouldn't be a problem. Just still have to draw it a little better with nicer shapes.
Posted on 12 July 2013 at 10:22 pm (CET)
Finally some progress again. Or well, I'm back where I was one and a half month ago. The new adaptor for the front sprocket has been made. I asked for stainless steel but it's a steel one. Looking back at it this seems to be better anyway, I contacted some metalworking company about this. They said that stainless steel probably wouldn't be strong enough for this application. But it all fits pretty well now, also no more play between the adaptor and sprocket which was the case with the old adaptor. There's only a little bit of play between the motor's axle and the adaptor but it's very minimal. It'll be firmly attached anyway so I don't think it'll be a problem.
Just have go search for someone who has a wire cutting machine now to cut out a keyway in the adaptor and sprocket. Apparently this can't be done any other way. But after this I will actually have it the way I wanted it from the beginning.
Today I also got something else. A new rear sprocket, steel 44 tooth of a Suzuki GSX-R 1000.
The aluminium sprocket will get a new life as an adaptor. I already drew it, just still need to get it routed. The rear sprocket can then be placed more inward and the chain will then run in a perfectly straight line. This is what it'll look like.
And a quick picture of the whole quad bike after today.
Today I was finally able to start making the battery boxes. Here are the definitive drawings of how I'll be making them. With 4 battery boxes, should all fit nicely. Just still have to see where to place the sensor plate for the display and the fuse with fuse holder. Will probably be as close as possible to the emergency switch so I can keep the cables short.
I started with the biggest box. It'll be the most difficult so I just want to get it done and over with. Here are the plates, nicely tailor-made with my table saw. Only the back plate (as it'll be in the frame) and cover are slightly bigger so I have some play. This will be evened out later on.
I glued two of the plates now, will have to wait untill this is hardened.
Tomorrow I'll continue with the other 2 plates. I just still need to make holes on one side for the cable glands.