Blog / Batteries
Posted on 10 August 2013 at 08:09 pm (CET)
Today I started glueing the small pieces on the battery boxes. Was planning to make these all even and straight first but I couldn't really do it with the tools I have here right now. So I'll do this later once they're all attached.
Tomorrow I'll do the same with the other holes, then I'll have to even out the top and add the square plates on there. Not really much work but I have to wait pretty long till the glue hardens.
Posted on 3 August 2013 at 07:15 pm (CET)
Next step for the battery boxes.
I sawed all the small pieces. Only a bit less straight than I was hoping for but I'm happy I was able to do it all on the table saw. Would've taken much longer otherwise. Just need to file them all a bit now.
These small pieces are for the cable glands which pass the orange cables through the boxes.
First I'll have to make them all even and straight, after that glue them on the battery boxes and maybe weld as well.
Posted on 26 July 2013 at 09:03 pm (CET)
All 4 battery boxes are welded up now. The last one with the extra corner in it was quite tricky again. Had to make whole constructions of wooden blocks to be able to support and keep them in place while welding. This one didn't turn out as good as the other boxes but it's still good enough.
Most important is that they're all done now. Just have to even out the welds on them all now and then I can finally continue with the next step for the battery boxes.
Meanwhile I also got something in the mail again. Had to search for a long time to find the right size for these and delivery took pretty long as well but I finally have them now and they fit perfectly.
They're all rubber vacuum caps. In the clamps for the batteries that I'll be making inside of the battery boxes there'll be quite a few rivet nuts to attach everything with bolts. Like here on my testplate.
Since these will be close to the batteries I don't want to take the risk of a short circuit. So on all rivet nuts I'll place one of these vacuum caps as isolation.
Fits perfectly as the inside diameter is slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the rivet nuts. So they will always stick on there which makes it a lot safer. And the rivet nuts will be really waterproof like this as well.
Posted on 24 July 2013 at 10:50 pm (CET)
Today was a very good day, fortunately it was a bit less hot than yesterday.
Battery Box #3 is all welded up and evened out now.
Battery box #2 is also welded up already. Very satisfied with this one, the weld sits almost perfectly straight everywhere and nicely into the grooves. Don't think I can do any better than this. It also didn't sink in anywhere, was able to support it very well everywhere with some wooden blocks. I'll even it out later when the other 2 battery boxes are also welded up.
Tomorrow I'll try to weld the biggest battery box, depends how hot the weather will be.
Posted on 23 July 2013 at 09:21 pm (CET)
Today I started welding battery box #3 and almost finished welding it as well. Unfortunately I had to stop since it was just getting too hot, especially when working with a heatgun at 350 degrees (C). But it's going pretty well, it's just annoying that the plastic bends so quickly when heated. Have to keep supporting wherever I'm welding otherwise the whole box will just bend. That fortunately hasn't happened yet, but it did sink in just a little bit in some places. But it doesn't really matter that much with this small battery box. As long as it won't happen with the bigger one.
When it cooled off I also evened it out with the rest of the box. The weld sits nicely inside of the grooves everywhere just as it should. Hopefully it's also sturdy enough now.
Tomorrow I'll finish this one and continue with the other boxes.