Blog / Charger
Posted on 3 May 2014 at 12:26 am (CET)
Besides the battery boxes there's still something else that has to be attached to the frame, the charger. Today I checked how it would fit and what I'll have to make for this. Thought I'd show how it'll be placed, don't think I've showed this yet.
It'll be placed as high as possible so I can still easily get the large battery box in and out without having to remove the nerfbar, pedals and heel guards. But I won't bother thinking too much about how to attach this. There are already 4 mounting points on there (also 2 on one side but I'll have to cut these off since they're in the way). On the front I can just weld a thick steel plate at the top between the tubes and place 2 long studs down there. On the rear I can weld 2 mounting points on that tube in the middle and bend the mounting points on the charger itself straight down. Will be firmly attached like that I think.
And the idea I have for the battery boxes is just some corner profiles of 3 mm thick steel welded together with some mounting points on there. There'll also be mounting points on the frame itself and they'll be firmly attached like that. I'm not really sure yet if it'll actually be like this but I think it will.
Today I split the braking system. Took me quite some time since I was having a hard time getting all of the brake fluid out of the system with the hose I used for this. But I succeeded, that's what's most important ofcourse.
I moved the brake line of the rear brakes to the other side of the swingarm, the electric motor should fit nicely in there now.
Just still have to buy a different banjo bolt with sensor for the brake lights to place on the rear brake pump. Can't reuse the current one as it's for a double brake line. For now I just placed a normal banjo bolt on there.
Since I had some time left I also made the charge cable already.
When I came home today I suddenly saw 3 packages, total weight of 40kg. What could be in there?
Finally the first few parts for the conversion have arrived. Thank you Rebbl!
Most important part, the Evnetics Soliton Jr controller. Way overkill for this project but it's the only one that has the needed certification to pass inspection at the RDW. But it's the best you can get anyway, very high quality, a lot of options and not to mention it looks amazing.
Next, on top is the hall sensor, also from Evnetics so very high quality as well. The 'gas' cable gets connected to this and it will send 0-5V to the controller. Below that are 4 RFI filters and rubbers to safely guide the cables through the enclosure for the controller.
Enclosure for the controller, this consists of a few parts. This enclosure and the RFI filters (also a seperate mesh shielding that's already inside of the cables) are unfortunately necessary for the controller and motor to pass inspection at the RDW. All because of EMI (electromagnetic interference). The controller won't really be visible anymore which is a shame. But there's no other way, the rules are like this everywhere in Europe.
Also important, the charger to charge the batteries. This is already preprogrammed for the LiFePo4 batteries. I only gave them the info of the CALB SE70's so I hope the settings are still right for the CALB CA60's as well. Still have to ask for this.
On top a 150W DC-DC converter. With electric vehicles this is used instead of a dynamo. This converts the 72V I'll be using for the propulsion to 12V to keep the 12V battery charged.
Also some plugs for charging, a fuse for the charger and a relais. I just don't know what the relais is for, as far as I know this isn't needed. But it'll be of good use anyway.
There's also a box which I think is meant for the fuse but it doesn't even fit. Will have to see what to do with this later, it's a pretty weird fuse anyway (can only see the fuse holder, fuse is inside of it). Usually other type of fuses are used for this.
Then there's still some cables.
This one is to be used as the charge cable I guess. Will still have to ask for some more information on this as I don't think it's all complete for making the charge cable. The yellow roll is heat shrink.
Cable for between the charger and batteries. Pretty nice they're tied together, easier to attach.
Orange cable for between the battery pack and the controller and between the controller and motor (with mesh shielding).
Orange cable for between the battery packs (without mesh shielding).
And last but not least cable shoes for the orange cables.
This isn't all the parts yet though, still need to get the following from different companies:
- Electric motor (within 2-3 weeks hopefully)
- Contactors (big relais) for forward/reverse (within 2-3 weeks hopefully)
- Emergency switch (within 2-3 weeks hopefully)
- Batteries (still have to order them, delivery time of 2 months)
- A few fuses (still have to order them)
But I did already get a lot of parts now, however I need to get some mounts made for the controller and motor. Only after that I can actually start with the wiring and other things. But I can actually do some things now while waiting for the motor to arrive.